By Ollie Lewis For Mailonline
Published: 18:16 GMT, 23 December 2019 | Updated: 19:10 GMT, 23 December 2019
Tottenham’s investigation into the alleged racist abuse against Chelsea star Antonio Rudiger has so far proved ‘inconclusive’ as the club continues to search for the culprits.
Play was halted during the second half of Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over Spurs at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium after defender Rudiger reported he heard racist abuse aimed his way from the home supporters.
And the north London side released a statement on Monday night detailing the extensive measures being used to track those responsible for the racist abuse.
Tottenham Hotspur have said investigations into racist abuse have returned ‘inconclusive’
‘We are able to track every fan via the cameras and have spent many hours reviewing CCTV footage,’ the statement read.
‘We have engaged lip readers to study the footage and contacted Chelsea for further information from their players.
‘We have also taken statements from other parties present at the time. The police will be reviewing our evidence alongside us. Please be assured we shall be exhaustively investigating this matter.’
Monday’s statement went on to say that the club will heavily punish the offender once they are found, but revealed that their investigations have so far been ‘inconclusive’.
Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger told team-mates he heard racist abuse from the stands
The incident was reported to referee Anthony Taylor and the game was halted on Sunday
‘This Club has a proud track record of anti-racism work across all our communities and we are determined to ensure that we conduct a thorough investigation. Any fan found to be guilty will receive a lifetime ban.
‘At this time however we should point out that our findings are inconclusive and would ask that comment is reserved until the facts are established.’
It comes after police revealed that six arrests have been made since the Premier League showdown between the two sides, two being for affray, another two for assault, one for public order and one for racially aggravated public order.
The latter related to alleged racial abuse which was aimed at Tottenham player Son Heung-min.
Meanwhile, Rudiger has urged Tottenham officials to find and punish the fans who allegedly made monkey noises on Sunday.
The incident occurred after an altercation between Son Heung-min (L) and Rudiger
A Chelsea fan has also been arrested for allegedly racially abusing Tottenham’s Son
Rudiger, 26, who is German, tweeted on Sunday evening: ‘It is really sad to see racism again at a football match, but I think it’s very important to talk about it in public.
‘If not, it will be forgotten again in a couple of days (as always). I don’t want to involve Tottenham as an entire club into this situation as I know that just a couple of idiots were the offenders.
‘I got a lot of supportive messages on social media from Spurs fans as well in the last hours – thank you a lot for this.
Rudiger, 26, urged officials to find and punish the fans who allegedly made monkey noises
‘I really hope that the offenders will be found and punished soon, and in such a modern football ground like the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with dozens of TV and security cameras, it must be possible to find and subsequently punish them.
‘If not, then there must have been witnesses in the stadium who saw and heard the incident. It’s just such a shame that racism still exists in 2019. When will this nonsense stop?’
The Professional Footballers’ Association have called for a government inquiry into racism within football following the allegations of abuse at the game.
Tottenham are also currently trying to identify the culprit who abused Rudiger and they are also trying to identify the other supporter who threw a cup at Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Tottenham reveal investigation into Antonio Rudiger alleged racist has so far proved ‘inconclusive’
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Lost your password?