Media playback is unsupported on your device
The US has reported its first death from the new coronavirus, in the north-west state of Washington.
Officials said the patient was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions.
President Donald Trump said more cases were “likely” but that the US was prepared for any circumstance.
Officials said they were expanding travel restrictions on Iran and urged Americans to avoid hard-hit parts of Italy and South Korea.
More than 85,000 coronavirus cases have been reported around the world and almost 3,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organization. The vast majority of infections and deaths are in China, where the virus emerged late last year.
Local health officials confirmed on Saturday that the man in his 50s died in Washington state’s King County. They said he had not travelled to any high-risk areas.
There was confusion earlier as Mr Trump described the patient as a “wonderful woman”.
Among the other 22 cases in the country, Mr Trump said four people were “very ill” with the virus.
Washington Governor Jay Inslee has declared a state of emergency in response to new cases in the state.
It comes after officials on the US West Coast reported three unexplained coronavirus cases – in California, Oregon and Washington – raising concerns the virus could be spreading within the community.
A US citizen previously died in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first appeared.
While acknowledging that more cases were expected, he also sought to quell fears over the outbreak.
“Since the early stages of the foreign outbreak my administration has taken the most aggressive action in modern history to confront the spread of this disease,” he said.
“Our country is prepared for any circumstance. There is no reason to panic at all.”
He said healthy individuals “should be able to fully recover”.
Vice President Mike Pence announced that an existing ban on travel from Iran had been expanded to include any foreign national who has visited the country within the last 14 days.
Iran has reported the most coronavirus deaths outside China.
Americans were also urged not to visit hard-hit areas in global hot-spots Italy and South Korea.
Mr Pence said the US was working with local officials to coordinate screening of travellers entering the US from those countries.
France earlier announced that it had banned all indoor gatherings of more than 5,000 people, as part of efforts to contain the country’s coronavirus outbreak.
Measures announced after an emergency cabinet meeting also include the cancellation of the Paris half-marathon which was to be held on Sunday.
In the worst-hit area, north of Paris, all public gatherings have been banned.
The total number of cases of the new coronavirus in France rose to 100 on Saturday. Two patients have died.
“Our goal at this stage is limit the spread,” Health Minister Olivier Véran said after Saturday’s cabinet meeting.
Among the events affected by the prohibition of large indoor gatherings is Paris’s annual agricultural fair. Its final day, which was scheduled for Sunday, has been cancelled.
The government has urged residents of the worst-hit areas to avoid “non-essential travel” and “work from home if possible “.
Have you been affected by the coronavirus? Or do you have any information to share? Get in touch by emailing email@example.com.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Lost your password?