By Alana Mazzoni For Daily Mail Australia
Published: 22:15 GMT, 29 January 2020 | Updated: 22:48 GMT, 29 January 2020
Bystanders reportedly refused to give CPR to a man who had a heart attack and died over fears he had coronavirus, which has killed 133 people and infected more than 6,000.
The 60-year-old man died from a cardiac arrest outside a Masuya Suisan restaurant in Sydney’s Chinatown on Wednesday night.
Paramedics tried to revive the man at the Chinese restaurant on Campbell Street in Haymarket at around 8.30pm, but he died at the scene.
A 60-year-old man died outside Masuya Suisan restaurant in Chinatown (pictured) on Wednesday night as bystanders reportedly didn’t give him CPR over fears of contracting coronavirus
New South Wales Police said emergency services were called to Masuya Suisan restaurant on Campbell Street in Haymarket (pictured) just after 8.30pm
Restaurant managers said they were told by staff a man had collapsed outside, the Daily Telegraph reported.
The deadly coronavirus has infected more than 6,000 people globally since it spread last month from the Chinese city of Wuhan.
The outbreak in mainland China is now bigger than the 2003 SARS epidemic, when 5,327 cases of the killer virus were confirmed.
However, it is still behind the total toll of the outbreak, which infected 8,000 people.
There are now seven confirmed cases of the virus in Australia, including four in NSW, two in Victoria and one in Queensland.
Australians trapped in the Chinese city of Wuhan due to the viral outbreak will be evacuated to Christmas Island.
In New South Wales, coronavirus testing is ramping up as authorities await lab results for 16 new possible cases referred for investigation.
NSW chief medical officer Kerry Chant urged recent visitors to the Chinese province of Hubei – the epicentre of the viral outbreak – to come forward.
Coronavirus has killed 133 people and infected more than 6,000 worldwide since it spread last month from the Chinese city of Wuhan
‘We want to get the message out that people with low-level symptoms need to come forward,’ she said.
‘We want to detect those cases and it will help us to better understand the disease.’
Dr Chant on Wednesday afternoon confirmed 16 possible coronavirus cases were being investigated in NSW, including a two-year-old child.
Two people confirmed to be infected in NSW have improved significantly and could soon be released from hospital isolation, Dr Chant added.
There have been more than 40 people tested for the infection in NSW.
Five people have the virus after returning from China’s Hubei province, where coronavirus first surfaced in December. All are being treated in hospital and in a stable condition.
About 400 Australian citizens have registered for evacuation from the city of Wuhan in Hubei.
At this stage, health authorities do not believe people can pass on coronavirus unless they are showing symptoms, but the virus does have a relatively long incubation period of two weeks.
* Federal advice to school students who have returned to Australia from China is that if they are healthy, it is reasonable for them to attend school. If they have been in contact with somebody with coronavirus, they should not attend school for up to 14 days.
* But some Australian private schools have told students who have recently visited China to stay at home for a fortnight. Brisbane’s Stuartholme School for girls will keep 10 of its boarders in quarantine for two weeks after they arrived from China this week.
* Four confirmed cases are being treated at Westmead Hospital: a 21-year-old University of NSW student who was diagnosed after flying back from the virus epicentre in Wuhan, and three men aged 35, 43 and 53.
* Six potential cases are being assessed.
* One confirmed case, a man in his 50s, is being treated at Monash Medical Centre while four of his family are under home isolation.
A sixth case was confirmed on Wednesday.
* Thirteen people have been tested, but authorities do not believe they are likely to have the virus.
* 42 Victorians have tested negative.
* Six people tested, awaiting results.
* One person tested and cleared.
* Four people tested and cleared.
* Four people tested negative.
* A women in her 20s who recently travelled to China is being tested for coronavirus in Launceston after becoming unwell.
* A man was discharged from hospital on Sunday after testing negative.
* Some 132 people have died from the virus in China
* The number of confirmed cases in China is 5974.
* In Thailand, which the worst affected country outside of China, the death toll is currently 14.
* The infection has also spread to most of Australia’s regional neighbours including Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, Vietnam and Cambodia.
* The Australian government has told its citizens to reconsider travel to China and to avoid Hubei province where the virus first appeared in December.
* There are no travel warnings yet for other destinations in the Asian region.
* Global health authorities are on alert for cases of human-to-human transmission of the virus outside China, which could speed up infection rates.
* So far this has occurred in Germany, Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam.
* Higher rates of human-to-human transmission is a reflection of the adaptability of the virus, which was is believed to have initially been transmitted to humans by animals.
Bystanders ‘refused to give CPR’ man who had a heart attack in Chinatown amid fears of coronavirus
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Lost your password?